Welcome to Mama Homesteader!

Follow my family in year 3 of our homesteading journey. Along the way we try to answer the question ," What can one small family do to change their lives on little more than 1/10th of an acre?" Let's Find Out!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Garden update

   Well Summer has pretty much passed us by! Oh my, where did the time go? It seems just like yesterday that I was getting ready for spring gardening, and now fall is creeping up. In my head I'm now focusing on cleaning up of the summer garden, and looking forward to fall.
    I've already harvested tons of tomatoes, all my peppers, my potatoes, garlic, onions, beets, broccoli, kale, collards, mustard, Swiss chard, cauliflower, asparagus, and turnips. That's not counting tons of strawberries, huskberries, lettuce,herbs, and spinach. At this point I'm harvesting corn and green beans, and LOTS of tomatoes and huskberries yet. (The corn didn't fair well, but many people have had issues with it this summer.) With the drought some items did better than others, our cucumbers, carrots, parsnips, zucchini and squash didn't even come up -while our tomatoes took off ( I DID mention the TONS of tomatoes right?)
   What's left for fall? The brussel sprouts are starting to form, we still have okra and pumpkins, and a few tiny watermelon. There are more beans and a few late planted turnips, and of course late planted broccoli. Thankfully the tomatoes have little time left :)

For now, I'll leave you with the Aerial video of the garden around the beginning of July:)


 
 
How's your garden growing?
 
Cheers~ MamaHomesteader

No comments:

Post a Comment