Welcome to Mama Homesteader!

Follow my family in year 3 of our homesteading journey. Along the way we try to answer the question ," What can one small family do to change their lives on little more than 1/10th of an acre?" Let's Find Out!

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Quick Spring Update

  Just a quick spring update! Mother nature certainly has us on our toes the last few days, with snow predicted over the last two nights and tonight. Thankfully I've been able to do a quick and dirty frost cover for Kiddo's Strawberry bed using old sheets and bags of sand. Plenty of old totes have made short work of covering the Elderberry, Honeyberry, Currant, and Gooseberry bushes.And For the most part I've left our fall planted Black Raspberry bushes to their own devices. Since they are a wild variety, they are well suited to the environment. Last fall, I planted a dozen canes across the back fence, and this spring all twelve have started growing.

Gooseberry start when it was first planted
Newly planted strawberry beds behind DH and Kiddo!

  
Indoor seedlings are doing well. Lately when temperatures have been above 59 degrees F- I've set out Broccoli, Cauliflower, Kale, Collard, Lettuce, and Mustard seedlings. Doing so gets them more light and strengthens them, which is important because they will be the first  seedlings planted out. The Tomato and Pepper seedlings will have a few weeks to wait, it's still far to cold for them yet.



Broccoli Seedlings
Tomato seedlings



     These seedlings are larger now and about half have since been transplanted to larger pots. (In the near future I want to cover my current seed starting practices and how I want to overhaul them for  next year.)
    That is a quick update on what's going on! When I have the time I'll post about all  the changes being made to the garden!

                                                       ~ Cheers! Mama Homestader

No comments:

Post a Comment